Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Week 8: Picture Frame and Mirror Revamp

After painting my hallway last month (Week 2 post), I am finally getting around to getting things up on the walls.

First, I bought a really fun rug for $8 on sale that I thought would look good with the color of the walls:



Next, I figured I would try to repaint the picture frame and mirror I had hanging up before I painted the hall for an easy (and cheap) way to update the old hall decor.  Here's what the frame and mirror looked like before against our yellow walls:


The frames and mirror didn't look good against the new paint, so I painted each one a dark teal color on the inner and outer frame and painted the middle the same paint color as the wall.  


I really like the distressed look of the other frames and mirror, so I used sand paper to sand down the teal so parts of the old green paint peeked out and used a coarse-bristled paint brush with a mixture of brown/black paint.  I initially painted the mirror with 2 coats of teal, so when I couldn't sand down as much as I wanted to I had to use the coarse paint brush and some green acrylic paint to mimic the distressed look.  I am pretty happy with the results!





Now I just need to figure out how I want to decorate the rest of the hallway!

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment