Sunday, February 9, 2014

Week 5: Baby Rosette Headbands

My best friend Ann is having a baby next week and I wanted to make a little something to bring for the baby.  I'm hoping it works out that she has her baby by the time I pass through the city where she lives on my way home from a work trip in Iowa.  I already made her some burp rags, and the other day I was looking up how to make some baby headbands.  I was debating whether to make felt flowers or fabric rosettes, but ultimately I decided to make fabric rosettes since I made the felt flowers for the burlap wreath I made in Week 1.

So, I gathered my supplies:  glue gun, glue sticks, brown and yellow elastic, and various fabric/felt scraps that would be long enough for me to make into flowers.


I started by cutting out a small circle of felt and cut the white and yellow polka dot fabric and the teal polka dot fabric into strips about 1 1/2 inches wide.  I glued one end of the strip to the middle of the felt and started wrapping the fabric around the starting point. I did glue at various points along the way to ensure each new layer of fabric wouldn't come undone, and when the rosette was as large as I liked I cut the fabric strip and glued a little piece around the back of the rosette.  Here's how the first one looked: 

 
At first I thought I only wanted to make 1 rosette, but then I decided one larger rosette with two smaller ones would look cuter so I made two baby rosettes to accompany the large one for each of the headbands:



Since I have a sewing machine and I was getting really sick of burning my fingers with hot glue, I decided to sew the headband ends together instead of gluing them.  Next I tried to guess where the rosettes would look best positioned on the headband if the seam was at the back of the baby's head.  Since I don't have any kids I couldn't try it on!  I also guessed on the length and read somewhere that a newborn is 12 inches elastic, newborn to 6 mo is 14 inches.  I wanted the baby to be able to wear it pretty early on, so I made it for 13 inches.  

Once the headband was sewed together then I glued the rosettes on and I had myself two baby headbands.  I was pretty happy with how they turned out, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that my friend likes them as much as I do! :) 



Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment